Re: magazine publishing rights help

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> wrote/replied to:

>>This approach sounds like a sure way to kill the entire deal.
>
>Yup.  That's the core problem with consolidating publishing right
>now.  Murdoch and the Associated Press, Getty, and Bill Gates, who
>wholly owns Corbis, all get rich while the people who create the
>intellectual property they get rich on don't have health insurance
>and forfeit their future.

It seems to me there's such a glut of images of all kinds on the
market right now that any photog except one who's already made a name
could be happy to get any work, and maybe just maybe make a few extra
bucks from images after the shoot. I'd take 200 bucks for a few hours
shooting, hopefully make more on prints, and keep the rights any day.

I used to do commercial work like this. $150 minimum, $50 an hour
after that. Large built in profit on all the prints. Customers were
real happy, I should have stuck with this type of shooting. Everyone
has to start somewhere and work their way up. Everyone starts low,
just happy to make a few bucks, but starts collecting clients and an
impressive portfolio.

I myself basically started all over this Spring when I decided to get
seriously into Bird and Nature Photography by investing over $5000.00.
It might be a few years before I get famous or start to make any cash
from it, but in the meanwhile I'm going ahead and shooting lots and
working on technique. I'd be happy to sell any prints for any profit
at this point :-)

Your points are well taken and should be kept in mind, but for the
beginners, let's just try not to scare off any customers but keep the
rights to our images, and make _some profit_.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/