Re: Powering old cameras

The CRIS adapter is a 625 profile shell with the reduction diode in the side - an SR44 drops into it. Olympus users often put the diode in line under the baseplate of their beloved OM1's and 1n's. So do users of old Leica SLR's. I have a Leica CL which requires a 625 and I've stocked up.
I had a Minox a while back and actually managed to find the correct battery for it. I sold my spare with the camera - great little unit - you must use it! They have serious problems with either shutter or aperture though (can't remember which). There is a Minox discussion list that deals with this one. I'll try and find it and do some research.
I don't know what the Minolta uses - I could have had an MG for $25 recently but decided it wasn't worth the bother. A reloadable plastic cartridge is worth more than the camera, they are so rare now.
The Himatic would use a 625 or 675. Just for fun I suggest using the alkaline equivalents, both easily available (675 = SR44, LR44 type). The decay curve of the battery means that they become inaccurate as they weaken. The 1.5V means that they'll be off by a stop or two but if you shoot colour negative and bracket, you'll soon work out an adjustment using the ASA setting.
The Minox has a brilliant lens and is fun to use. The HiMatics are nice but not as good as a Canon QL17 (GIII) from the same era.
Andrew

Andrew,

My sincere thanks. If you want to sell any battery that can power the
cameras listed below let me know. Adding these diodes and calibrating the
meters to a lower voltage is something I had not heard of and appreciate
your very thorough explanation.

I would like to give power to;

Minox 35GL
Minolta 16 MG which I have not really looked into because of the film issue.
and two different versions of the Minolta Hi Matic both with dedicated off
shoe flashes.

All four of these cameras are mint, and it would be fun to see how a roll of
film would look.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g