Re: Powering old cameras

Mercuries -
625PX - still available in small quantities here (Australia) at a price (US$7-10). Otherwise a CRIS adaptor for SR44's. Someone here in Melbourne was threatening to start producing a version of the adapter with a better diode - I must check. DON'T use the alkaline 625 equivalent. There is a Chinese (Excell, Exell?) silver oxide version but it is 1.5V, not 1.35V and throws the meter off by up to 3 stops (on an OM1).

675PX - accidentally picked up a couple the other day for a friend's Konica but you'd be lucky. Get the meter recalibrated for 1.5V silvers or a diode installed (see below).

If you want to use a Yashica Electro, the old 5.6V is unavailable but the camera is voltage flexible and works fine with 6V. www.yashicaguy.com for a great little $15 adapter with battery - 544 alkaline 6V.

There are also tricks with Minox 35's (and Rollei 35's?) but they escape my memory at present.

Junk cameras often have a mercury battery in them with a little life left in it. They last for a long, long time. Scavenge.

Get an appropriate diode fitted in the battery compartment wiring - better than retrimming the meter.
AndrewF

I collect a lot of camera gear, some stuff is very, very old, while others
are only 10 to 30 years old. I have several mint camera that used the old
style batteries which were discontinued because of their environmental
hazards.

A general question, does anyone know if there are batteries that have
replaced the obsolete ones? Two batteries I know I could use are the ones
similar to the Lithium 3 volt types. One camera uses a similar sized battery
but 6 volts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Good holidays to all,
Gregory david Stempel