Re: jpeg

Sorry to jump in, without reading the whole thread properly:

colette <cmm@wi.rr.com> writes:

> EEKS!  Sorry, I have to jump in here, Rand.  Your advice to Jody re: JPEG is
> on the mark in order to save space on her cards....HOWEVER, never, and I
> mean NEVER shoot a wedding or anything professional as a JPEG.  Everytime
> you open a JPEG document you compromise the image, thus lose more and more
> each time you open it, manipulate it, close it, print it, etc.

...but this is nonsense. Every time you **save** an image (whatever
format it came from) in jpeg format, there is a loss. But if you take an
image in jpeg from somewhere, and don't want to lose any more
information, you simply save it in a lossless format (tiff probably
best, IIRC, but any lossless format, including png, or PaintShopPro's
proprietary format, etc etc).

What is a *bad* idea is to open a jpeg, *save* it, open again, *save*
again, [over and over again]. Though of course it also depends on the
jpeg setting, which it helps to understand.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/