Re: d100 weddings

I agree very much. I've been working with digital images since 1993 when I got my first slide scanner (Microtek 1850) and I learned never to use JPG until the final save. It's a lossy format and you lose sharpness and overall resolution.

RAW format if you can, otherwise TIFF without any compression.

Dave

At 08:45 PM 12/12/2002 -0600, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "rand flory" <ferret@wyoming.com>

> But if money is tight on this shoot, you have little choice but to shoot
> JPEG.
>
> peace,
>
> rand

EEKS!  Sorry, I have to jump in here, Rand.  Your advice to Jody re: JPEG is
on the mark in order to save space on her cards....HOWEVER, never, and I
mean NEVER shoot a wedding or anything professional as a JPEG.  Everytime
you open a JPEG document you compromise the image, thus lose more and more
each time you open it, manipulate it, close it, print it, etc.  Soon  you
end up with an image that is for crud.  Please learn from my mistake.  I am
brand new to digital.  We shot it as JPEG, downloaded it to the laptop,
digitized it, closed it, opened it up, admired it, closed it, tweaked it a
little more, admired it more, decided to burn it to a cd, and print it.
NEVER AGAIN.  I would strongly suggest using JPEG only for images that will
be viewed on a computer monitor.  Your prints will suck.  :)    If you want
further details of that disaster, feel free to e-mail me privately.  Robert
has given you the best advice!

P.S.  NEVER drop the card....or god-forbid, the microdrive!

Cheers!
Colette
cmm@wi.rr.com