Re: Winter shooting

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.  What I've learned so far:

Layering--I have polypro in light and expedition weights, but will have to
look into the wool blend.

Fleece mittens with access flaps--there's something I hadn't looked into.
I've always been yanking off the gloves and alternately freezing and
re-warming my hands, even with liners on.  Mittens are good because they keep
a layer of warm air around all fingers instead of trying to keep individual
fingers warm.

I'll have to look into boots with a slightly looser fit.  My feet have
usually turned into solid blocks of ice while the rest of me was toasty
warm--probably due to the tight fit of heavy socks and liners--duh.  I'll try
the anti-perspirant trick too.

One suggestion I got elsewhere was to put equipment into a Ziplock bag or
other such airtight container (I have some Pelican cases) before taking the
gear from cold to warm.  Allowing the gear to warm to room temp. this way
will prevent condensation.

Andrew, try heading south a ways.  You'll find year-round winter. ;-)  I
don't have an Exacta Varex, but I do have a Contax III and a Hasselblad
500C--no batteries, they should serve well.  Good luck with the Australian
summer.  I would consider becoming bi-polar if I were you--I can't take heat.

Darryl, I don't know of a Cabela's around here, but I have an REI and LL Bean
nearby.  I will consult them on socks.  I'm also looking into a winter
sleeping bag and boots.

In case folks haven't figured it out, I'm working on getting back to my
long-postponed road trip out west.  If anyone has suggestions for great
shooting locales across the northern tier of US states, and possibly Canada,
I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Rich Mason
Photographer-at-Large