Re: Winter shooting

Rich,

I don't know how old you are, but it may make a difference. I live in
Wyoming and love the winters for the most part, but I have trouble any more
shooting in cold weather. My fingers have been slightly frostbitten a few
too many times (that's why age may make a difference). I have no trouble
keeping warm with layers, warm hat and wool-insulated pacs on my feet. But
using a camera in cold weather is hard for me any more.

My hands just can't deal with the cold any more. I use thin polypro liners,
a medium-weight fleece-like glove and a large down overmit. I still get cold
with the constant camera handling. I am going to try some kind of chemical
or electrical handwarmers this year, if I can find any.

I don't know if you have been in the west in the winter, but there are a
couple of differences between the western winters and eastern winters: 1.
The snow is dry and in many ways easier to deal with, and 2. the wind. When
I first moved out west, I stopped at a gas station in South Dakota. The wind
was blowing about as hard as I had ever experienced. Jokingly, I asked the
gas guy, "Does the wind always blow this hard?"

Non-jokingly, he replied, "Yup."

And he wasn't kidding. The wind can be bad. Luckily it usually not a winter
problem, although it can be. Polypro long johns, wool pants (war surplus
types are usually cheap, but somewhat non-stylish) and shirts, and Gore-Tex
outer coverings (including windpants) may not always be necessary to wear,
but you need to have them available.

And no winter western trip is complete without seeing Yellowstone in the
winter. This year it would be a trip accessible only by rented snowmobile,
but it would be worth it.

peace,

rand