Re: New Photography Magazine Wants YOU

At 11:10 AM 12/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Currently our circulation in 0 (zero) and the magazine itself will be freely published on the web, in fact the only form of income 125@f/8 will have is the monthly photo contest entry fees.
You did not say that. No where did you imply it was going to be a webzine, but a new magazine starting publication. Even for webzines where you can have millions of subscribers, there is still usage fees far above $20. The EP estimator can give you a fair price on that as well.

Also I did state that our payments for a submission were negotiable.
Yes, but the difference between $20 and $350 for a 10K circulation with a $1K full page ad rate isn't in the range of "negotiable". If your starting at $20, you probably won't even get to $100 before you said "No thanks".

I'm just a two man show here me and my designer, I'm trying to do something that has never been done before... A photo contest that doesn't rip off those who send in entries to it and believe it or not, no financial institution in my meager/depressed area wants to invest in it, nor does the one photography store with in 40 miles (because its not local enough he said). So right now my budget is very small and the pay schedule is based on that, as the number of contest entries increase so will the amounts I'm paying out. I hope the have the grand prise at $1000 dollars someday.
Sounds like you need a business plan and some venture capital to get started. You have to spend money to make money. Your right, why would a local store advertise in a national magazine? Why would any one advertise on the Internet? Your going to have to get Nikon and Canon to advertise with you, not just Joe's 42nd Street Camera and Video. Sounds like you also need a larger staff. You can't be publisher, editor, and ad director all under one roof.

Is this hole thing a pipe dream? Maybe, but if I never took the chance even with the little resources I'm able to throw together... I can't justify not trying. Am I ready? no. But i never will be if I don't try.
I applaud your effort. I would love to see a quality magazine devoted to Photography. I personally believe the existing magazines editorial material is tainted by advertising and a good fresh well done magazine would be something I would subscribe too.

But pay rates should be tied to advertising income so that we all share in the end result. Yes, your going to loose a lot of money on the first few issues and you need deep pockets to pull it off. Don't start with bad business practices to get going.

Rob

--
Rob Miracle
Photographic Miracles