Re: New Photography Magazine Wants YOU

At 04:31 AM 12/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
I have had the pleasure of writing a few tutorials, and I know others of you have too. Do you have a technique or tip that you can walk our readers through? Why not get paid for your writing? We are open to negotiating payment for your contributions, although our going rates are currently $0.15 a word. Illustrations are currently paid $20. Whether it's a piece about how to properly use a flash or the "Ten Different Types of Studio Lighting Setups", chances are that we want to see it. We are willing to pay for your thoughts, ideas and opinions. Please don't be afraid to submit, you may end up our featured article!
Well my first rant article would be about 125@f8's pay schedule. Its hard enough for a professional media photographer to make a living today. I would think a photography magazine would want to support the profession that drives it by paying reasonable rates. $20 per photo or illustration is a slap in the face to professional photographers.

I would recommend before setting your pricing, check with ASMP, the American Society of Media Photographer and or Editorial Photographers. EP has a great tool where you can put in your circulation and ad rates (which editorial pricing is commonly based on) and it will give you a "fair" price to pay for photography. The URL is....

<http://www.editorialphoto.com/contracts/estimator.html>

Its sad. If a magazine in our own industry isn't willing to support us, how can we expect other publications to do the same?

Thanks,
Rob
--
Rob Miracle