Re: what makes memorable art

At 03:12 PM 12/8/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Bob,

>It took no creativity to make them, just observation and skill.<<<<<<
>
>Observation and skill are required to be an artist. You have to see to
>reveal. You have to develop skill to render your observations onto canvas or
>paper.
>
>As it turns out, some of the very early oils done by famous artists of the
>Sixteen and Seventeen hundreds used parabolic (a fascinating new technology
>at the time) mirrors to display (bounce) an image of their subject onto the
>canvas and they simply traced the outlines and added color. As disappointing
>as that may be, these same images now hang in the most prestigious galleries
>in the world. They are considered to be fine art by virtually everyone...
>and it is doubtful that will never change.
>
>There are as many forms of art as there are opinions about the subject and
>this diffusion of perception of
>"what is" has become merely one small part of the joy of being an artist and
>totally disregards the medium, type of skills used or subject matter chosen.
>
>And I speculate, this will continue until the sun finally fails to wake up
>one morning.
>
>Take care,
>Gregory david Stempel
>FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g

Gregoty,

You and most everybody else, no doubt, who saw the idiotic "60 Minutes"
piece last week on David Hockney's book re projected images missed the
point.  First, just anyone could not trace a projected image successfully -
it is very difficult and requires drawing skills beyond the average dabbler.
It requres great knowledge of many things. I could go on but believe me
getting an accurate trace is less than 1% of the art-making process. Art
isn't a pretty picture :-)

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.