review November 9th gallery

A message to the list - remember, these reviews are only the opinions
of the reviewer, a reflection of the reviewer's state of mind or
thought.  No particular authority in any of us beyond what the rest
of us bring to this process.

Dan Mitchell - Shopping Trip

Well, there's a lot going on here - an elderly couple with a baby
carriage makes me wonder about whether the trip was actually
shopping.  The guys cleaning up the park landscaping debris distract
from the title's subject.  It's true, the tonal range might have been
improved by bringing it into balance, but actually perhaps the entire
image might have come closer to its title by cropping out the
gardeners and the bench on the far left.  But, whatever the
connection between the title and the image, there's a solicitousness
between the gentleman and the lady that's charming and the little
strip of green between the tops of their heads and the bottom of the
wall is a mark of considerable success.

Laurenz Bobke - Sun, Sky, Rocks and Water

Just exactly where one needs a grad.  That poor blown out sky.  And a
tiny aperture, hard to make useful on a boat, but you did use a
tripod so a much smaller aperture might have been possible.  Then the
sunstar at least would have helped to bring out the line of the peak
of the mountain and brought this closer to the the cliche
composition.  But it's monochromatic, and perhaps it would be best as
a black and white....

Kostas Papakotas - Looking Out

Serendipity or slightly setup it's a nice reflection upon the
imagination of the folks who got the photo together.  Aside from that
I suspect there's rather a bit too much magenta, at least in my
version.

Joseph (King/Arthur)

Still not speaking to me.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

enrico christion - enlightenment

Lots of photo illustrations this week, now that I think about it.
This one also doesn't speak to me.  It may simply require some
exposition or to see more of the series.

Christiane Roh - november 2002

I definitely like his eyes.  He seems to clearly have both a sense of
humor and an acceptance of being photographer.  Sure, it would have
been nice if the knee hadn't been there right at that moment, and
sure Christiane could have asked the woodworker to move his sculpture
closer to the end of the table so that the shelving could be cropped
out in the viewfinder, but that's not what she has been doing on her
perambulations around her town.  Definitely a Rembrantian feeling
about this, although he had the choice to manipulate the light.  This
ad lib photography business calls for both snatching at what's there
and trying to be selective while snatching.

Elisha Page - The Royal Mile

Interesting how the shadow lines up with the roof line of the
building.  The contrast is so intense, however, that one has to study
the image to notice that.  Tempering the contrast and possibly moving
towards a vertical orientation stripping out the belltower, the
unshadowed area on the far left and the phone booths (?) might bring
the viewer into a speedier recognition of that aspect.  Whether
that's what the photographer was attracted to at the start is yet
another question.

Andrey Ivanitsky - Montmartre

Well, this is the difficult thing about these street scenes - getting
enough people out of the middle ground to permit the viewer to see
the the street scene while avoiding making the cobble stone sidewalk
the actual focal point.  And sharpness is definitely a problem here.
How nice it would have been to have everything poppingly sharp.
Faster film, monopod, different hyperfocal point - all might have
helped with that.

Emily L. Ferguson - pond in fall

Well, it's true this looks rather dark, on my monitor too.  I'm not
sure it looks like that in Photoshop but that's the way Netscape does
it.  Can't recall whether Elisha's image is that dark either in real
life.  I got a better balance between the light on the trees and the
reflection in the original and could have doctored it further in
Photoshop, but the slide is less contrastly.

Richard Cooper - Safe Harbour

I'm feeling the need for more information here, like on the left
side, more of the scene, more picture.  The boats really dominate
this image and just because they're tied up peacefully doesn't mean
they're partularly safe. Also, somehow, they look like their bows are
aground and they're not quite entirely afloat.  This is aggravated by
the roofline of the building in the rear middle ground, but I'm not
certain the image isn't level.  At least one of the masts is vertical.

I think I need the boats to be enclosed, somehow, by their
environment, to have them feel "safe".  Maybe they need to be a lot
smaller, need a lot more grass, hill behind, sky, water.

Bob Talbot - Birth and Death

What a moment!  What a face!  Why does the image feel like it's foggy?

Guy Glorieux - Old Montreal 1

Well, OK.  These techniques and processes are OK, but not my cup of
tea.  At a certain point the same considerations come into play -
composition, balance, tonal range.  Too much building on the far left
beyond the statue.  Funny sharp shadow behind the shadow.  Wish it
all were a bit sharper.