Re: file formats

> And I found, to my horror, that when my lab did drum scans of a B&W
> 4x5 neg for me, they gave me my 100 meg file -- in RGB.  Thus
wasting
> 2/3 of it.  Imbeciles.
David

This is exactly the stupid waste of disk space most digital cameras
provide their owners with.
The original CCD sensor's pixels are either R, G or B ... but they
interpolate up to RGB (thereby trebling the data size) before use.
Of course, there are good practical reasons why this is needed for
compression algorithms, but it illustrates a point that "file size &
data size are not 1 to 1 with the real information content.

Of course, Canon, Nikon etc enable RAW on thier high-end cameras ...
sadly embedding it in a proprietory format which handcuffs the user to
thier own software to use it.

The most stupid of all (Was it a Fuji camera) was where the makers
claimed thier CCD was "better" than other CCD designs so upsampled
from the number of pixels giving really bloated files - but it made
those that had mentally linked file-size to quality think they were
getting a better result.

In your RGB scans, if the drum scanner scans truly in RG and B, you
may have been given more info than had they "desatted" for you first.
You get to choose how you combine the channels.

Bob