Re: file formats

Bob Talbot wrote:

> > jerk! jeez. worse than me AND jan put together.
>
> No Robert, not even close.

Ok, you're right. I'd put him somewhere between me and Afterswift. No
way he could match the disruptive abilities of Jan and myself combined.

> I mistook your question as a bit of tongue in cheek:  didn't for one
> minute cross my mind you didn't already know the answer.

I have had the luxury of having my photoshop done by professionals. The
few times I have done my own work, It has been on drum scans. We have
specified our scanning in this way. "Give me a 100 meg scan at 300 dpi."
I am sure that Chandler is trembling with anxiety over this but it seems
to provide our clients with a file that accommodates nearly all
unforeseen uses. From newspaper ads to catalogs to posters with one
scan.  Now that scans are getting so cheap it is becoming a waste of
money unless there are retouching fees that would add up with multiple scans.

> The answer is simple - PhotoShop by it's market dominance sadly
> conditions people to think in stupid units (dpi) which have no real
> meaning unless you know the number of dots in the first place.

This sounds like a good thread.

> Bob

anyway, I think I understand now. Thanks to all. Even Chandler. (who is
still a poohead)