Re: file formats

"Robert G. Earnest" <robert@earnestphoto.com> writes:

> I have had the luxury of having my photoshop done by professionals. The
> few times I have done my own work, It has been on drum scans. We have
> specified our scanning in this way. "Give me a 100 meg scan at 300 dpi."

The 100 meg is what controls what they do.  The 300dpi is a
meaningless number encoded in the resulting file.  A 100 meg file at
72dpi would contain exactly the same pixels.  Or at 8000dpi.
Whatever.

And I found, to my horror, that when my lab did drum scans of a B&W
4x5 neg for me, they gave me my 100 meg file -- in RGB.  Thus wasting
2/3 of it.  Imbeciles.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net