Re: calibrating the screen without a spyder

kostas papakotas <kostaspapakotas@hotmail.com> writes:

> well, my brand new screen is coming tomorrow, but it seems impossible
> to gind the special calibrating device, so i'll have to work a method
> of my own.
> first i intend to open a blank notepad document, and compose a photoshop
> grey background (128% of red, green and blue). i guess these will have
> to be matching my Kodak grey card sides, otherwise i will be adjusting
> screen RGB channels
> secondly, i will be using an on-line screen calibration guide like the
> one in:
> http://www.artzone.gr/zon_cal.htm
>
> but the issue is, how do i calibrate for colors?

Here's a good description, at several levels of detail, on how to do a
decent and pretty good job of calibrating a screen to view images,
which is based on the MacBeth color-checker.  If you have one, then
this will work for you.  If you don't, you may need one for other
things anyway (but they seem to be rather expensive).

http://plaidworks.com/ctein/howtovue.htm
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net