Re: craftsmen's booths at fairs

At 10:34 PM -0700 6/6/02, Jay Bjerkan wrote:
>Emily,
>
>My wife has been doing craft shows for many years and it's become common for
>a booth slide to be required as part of applying to shows.

Yup.

>We've spent
>$40-75.00 for a show photographer to take a booth shot.

How many slides did you get for that?  Were they identical originals,
dupes or each slightly different?  How often did you do that?  Once a
year?  Only every time you changed the booth significantly?  Every
time you redesigned your product line?

>This usually is done
>before or after the public is around. They might spend 15-20 minutes with a
>portable flash unit with an umbrella with another flash on the
>tripod-mounted camera - and it was crap. The lighting set-up was good, but
>it was a poor representation of the work and display, and thus not much use
>as part of an application.

Hmm.  How was that?  What was crap about it?  Colors wrong?  Not well
framed?  Terrible shadows?

>If it's just a record shot done in 5 or 6 minutes, I'm not sure that a
>craftperson would want to spend much for it. And why do a slide?

It's a record shot for application to further shows, so it has to be
a slide.  But I don't want it to be crap.  Crap never leads to
further business.

One pro around here charges $19/slide for shooting flat art or
crafts.  He has a permanently set up studio.  Another guy charges
$40/hr + film expense for the same type of work.  He sets up each
shoot more or less from scratch.  This would not be a studio set-up,
so each shot would have to be set up from scratch depending on the
objects in the booth.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822