Search Postgresql Archives

Re: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 3:11 AM Nick Renders <postgres@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the macOS Finder, when you show the Info (command+i) for an external drive (or any partition that is not the boot drive), there is a checkbox "Ignore ownership on this volume" in the Permissions section. I think it is by default "on" for external drives.

Hmm.  Sounds suspicious, but why would only this file be affected?

> The external SSD is an Orico drive that is connected with USB-C. It is initialised as a GUID Partition Map with a single AFPS partition.
>
> We have run PostgreSQL 15 and earlier, before upgrading to 16 when it came out last year. We didn't have any problems with 16 until recently, after upgrading to Sonoma.

Interesting.  So the rename might have something to do with it, though
I don't have a theory for how,.

Can you show what the permissions and ownership looks like for pg_*
under there, normally, and once the system reaches this state?
Something like:

tmunro@phonebox postgresql % ls -slap pgdata/global/pg_*
16 -rw-------  1 tmunro  staff  8192  4 Apr 09:50 pgdata/global/pg_control
 8 -rw-------  1 tmunro  staff   524  4 Apr 09:50 pgdata/global/pg_filenode.map

I'm asking for "pg_*" because I want to see pg_control as well, to
understand the permissions for the other files in the cluster, and
because I want to see if there are any stray remnants of a temporary
file, which would be called pg_filenode.map.tmp.