Search Postgresql Archives

Re: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 4:47 AM Nick Renders <postgres@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Looking at the 2 machines that are having this issue (and the others that don't), I think it is somehow related to the following setup:
> - macOS Sonoma (14.4 and 14.4.1)
> - data directory on an external drive
>
> That external drive (a Promise RAID system in one case, a simple SSD in the other) has the option "ignore ownership" on by default. I have tried disabling that, and updating the data directory to have owner + read/write access for the postgres user. It seemed to work at first, but just now the issue re-appeared again.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I don't have any specific ideas and I have no idea what "ignore
ownership" means ... what kind of filesystem is running on it?  For
the simple SSD, is it directly connected, running a normal Apple APFS
filesystem, or something more complicated?

I wonder if this could be related to the change in 16 which started to
rename that file:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=d8cd0c6c95c0120168df93aae095df4e0682a08a

Did you ever run 15 or earlier on that system?