Search Postgresql Archives

Re: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 3:01 AM Nick Renders <postgres@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We now have a second machine with this issue: it is an Intel Mac mini running macOS Sonoma (14.4) and PostgreSQL 16.2.
> This one only has a single Data directory, so there are no multiple instances running.

BTW if you're running databases on mains-powered Macs, I have a patch
that you might be interested in, which so far hasn't attracted any
reviews.  The short version is that I bet you can at least lose many
seconds of commits (because WAL doesn't really hit durable part of
disk), and possibly also fail to recover (pg_control hits disk before
WAL, not sure if this is really possible), if you yank the power and
you're using the default settings for wal_sync_method.  I'd like to
rationalise the settings for that stuff and make it safe by default.

I don't know anything about the USB storage pathway but I'd be
surprised if it's different.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKG%2BF0EL4Up6yVYbbcWse4xKaqW4wc2xpw67Pq9FjmByWVg%40mail.gmail.com