Re: from CoLinux to MoreLinux :D

----> a) It's likely that it's an adopted version of the linux kernel so it's likely also old

Are you sure that you gave a fast read to this page ? ---> https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/

They say :

You are free to use any Linux distribution you like, or even BSDs or any of its derivatives. But then you should know the game. Especially tool versions should be recent, as installed on the listed distributions below.

We are confident that the snapshot works on the following distributions:

so,it seems that they found a way to use an updated linux version. Unfortunately they don't talk about FreeBSD. It deserves more research,because this is what I'm interested in.

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 4:58 AM Richard <richard_siegfried@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10.12.23 01:02, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Actually we are trying to
> boot FreeBSD with xen on our arm 32 Chromebook. But if it fails we could
> try L4Linux. Yes,they say that's similar to xen,but with some important
> differences that I haven't read and understood yet.

This is pure speculation because I don't have time to dig deeper into
L4Linux but I think the whole solution will be worse than Xen. When
Linux is really run as a process this means:

a) It's likely that it's an adopted version of the linux kernel so it's
likely also old

b) A process is a strictly defined thing with a clearly defined API that
is actually designed to do very different things, the things an OS
Kernel does might fit very bad into that meaning that a lot of the
behaviour might have to use workaround and might be quite imperformant.
For example the linux kernel is multithreaded and different kernel
threads can talk to each other quite easily, can they do the same on L4?
Might be difficult.

> Thanks for your
> invitation to read. Yes,I'm very interested in all the virtualization
> stuff all around,but I'm not sure that reading a complicated book will
> help me.

I'm actually sure about that and the answer is no. But "Modern Operating
Systems" is no complicated book, it's a very easy to read introduction
for beginners, usually it's read by undergraduate students that have
never programmed before.

> My training at the college has been totally different,I'm a
> psychologist. Do you think that one can be able to learn by himself how
> an operating system works by reading and studying a book found on the
> Internet,without the support of a teacher ?

Yes, given enough motivation and work ethic. I've never heard even one
university course on linux kernel programming, my university degree was
mostly about math

> Do you think that we can remove
> colleges from the face of the earth ?

No, because lots of people don't have enough motivation, work ethic or
structure, actually I think the benefit of colleges / universities is
not really the subject but teaching people the skills to actually
acquire knowledge themselves and abstract thinking.

-- Richard

> [...]
>     microkernels.
>      >
>      >         Neither FreeBSD nor Linux has a microkernel. From all your
>      >         questions I
>      >         think it would be helpful to read up on some Operating System
>      >         Theory
>      >         before you go on. I can recommend "Operating Systems -
>     Three Easy
>      >         Pieces"
>      >
>       (https://techiefood4u.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/operating_systems_three_easy_pieces.pdf <https://techiefood4u.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/operating_systems_three_easy_pieces.pdf> <https://techiefood4u.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/operating_systems_three_easy_pieces.pdf <https://techiefood4u.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/operating_systems_three_easy_pieces.pdf>>
>      >         )
>      >
>      >         It's almost as good as the Tanenbaum Classic, but free.
>      >
>      >         -- Richard
>      >
>      >
>      >          >
>      >          >
>      >          >
>      >          > On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 2:15 AM <jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx>
>      >         <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx>>
>      >          > <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx>>>>
>      >         wrote:
>      >          >
>      >          >     On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 1:02 PM Mario Marietto
>      >          >     <marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx>>
>      >         <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx>>>>
>      >         wrote:
>      >          >      >
>      >          >      > What is this ?
>      >          >      >
>      >          >      >
>      > https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/
>     <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/>
>      >
>       <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/
>     <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/>>
>      >          >
>      >
>       <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/
>     <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/>
>      >
>       <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/
>     <https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/>>>
>      >          >     Thats a micro-kernel, sort of like GNU Hurd.

Mario.