Re: from CoLinux to MoreLinux :D

What is this ?

https://l4re.org/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm-v7/

It seems to me that it does what Colinux did a lot of time ago,but it works even on more cpu architectures. Am I wrong ? With l4linux I can run multiple linux distros using the same kernel. I'm very curious to try it on my ARM machine,since there is even a version for arm 32 and arm 64 bit. It sounds interesting.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 9:57 AM Mario Marietto <marietto2008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Development of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ended in July 2023 because no one was interested anymore to develop it.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 3:06 AM Richard <richard_siegfried@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03.12.23 19:58, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Hello.
>
> maybe someone of you know the old project called "coLinux" :
>

>     Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method
>     for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More
>     generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the
>     Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another
>     operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to
>     freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, without using a
>     commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which
>     is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC
>     virtualization software. In its current condition, it allows us to
>     run the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition on Windows.
>

> CoLinux is very old and not maintained for a lot of time and I'm not
> interested in resurrecting it (and I don't have the competences to do
> it),BUT I'm interested to gather some information about a similar
> project that I have in mind. What about if,instead of having a Linux
> kernel which can run Windows cooperatively,we have a Linux kernel that
> can run more Linux distributions (maybe only 2 as a starting point,as
> CoLinux already does) at the same time,without using virtualization
> software ?
Check out: User Mode Linux

> Is the technology behind Colinux the same that's under the
> lxc or docker containers
No

> or the WSL2 subsystem ?
No

> What are the differences ?

With LXC you still have just one Linux kernels, but for processes it
"feels" like they have their own kernel "alone" but actually they are
just isolated from the other processes. The kernel got better in
providing processes own seperated "environments".

WSL is bascially using a VM

> I don't use WSL2,I don't use Windows so much. I like Linux and FreeBSD.
> So,an even nicer idea is to create a coLinux variant that allows the
> Linux kernel to cooperate with FreeBSD. This is even nicer than making a
> cooperation between 2 Linuxes.

I don't really see why (except for engineering curiosity maybe) but
google, maybe there is something like this, you might also like Debian
GNU k FreeBSD

-- Richard

> --
> Mario.