Re: final proposal for online kernel programmers' beginner course

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, julie Sullivan wrote:

> ...Yep, I'll definitely sign up for this. Paypal seems the way to go
> as I will be paying (my end) in GBP. I've enjoyed your articles for
> linux.com, Rob and they seem worth 39$CAD on their own.

  thanks, i appreciate that.  truth be told, the first part of the
course will use most of that former material, but that won't even be
half the course.  there will be plenty more before the 24 weeks are
up.

  (and i'll still be writing side pieces for public consumption, so
even if you pay nothing, i'll still have an area on my web site for
the occasional blog pieces.)

> The nice thing about a tutorial series like this too is as it's more
> on the fly it won't be out of date like a lot of the stuff that has
> to go via the publishers.

  i will be using only the latest version of the kernel.  literally,
the "git clone" of the development repo.  it doesn't get any fresher
than that.  and any lessons will always be updated to stay current
with the latest kernel.

> Btw I already pre-ordered the Love book as soon as I heard it was
> coming out and I think it would be an ideal reference book. The 2nd
> Edition was so good I even memorized entire passages I read it so
> often. And I'm looking forwards to the update on CFS too as the old
> book only covered O(1)...IMO this is a must-read for any kernel
> hacker newbie.

  as i've bragged about more than once, i was the technical editor on
that book.  it's good.

> If you're still looking for ideas to broaden your coverage could I
> humbly suggest a git slant if you're not using one already (in
> addition to your existing excellent material)? Not in order to
> replicate any of the existing git documentation, but IMHO everyone
> serious about contributing to mainstream in the long term should be
> using git or at least getting familiar with it. In a kernel-building
> article you could, say, also describe how to checkout and build a
> particular kernel version from your repo. If this is too much work
> though git is pretty well documented for people to work this out.
> :-)

  i hear.  and obey.  :-)

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/New_kernel_on_Ubuntu_10.04

but, yes, i can arrange for a more detailed coverage of git.

rday