Re: final proposal for online kernel programmers' beginner course

Hi,

On 8 June 2010 12:55, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Online_beginner%27s_kernel_programming_course

This must be the first time I've ever seen you use capitals when
writing prose. ;-)

A few questions:
 1) Will you take Paypal or Credit Card?
     OK I see that you have already mentioned PayPal, which I like
(especially given currency conversion issues).

 2) If you're going to charge 39$CAD, why not make it a nice round number of 40?

 3) Will students have to sign up at the same time, or can new
students jump in at any time?
    ie. Will you require all students this year to be ready and start
in September (like in schools), and everyone then works to the same
lesson?

  "they would simply be posted every week or so and you could come by
and work on them any time you wanted after each posting."

  4) What about test deadlines? Will these be taken at whatever time
the student wants, or do you require everyone to take the test after 3
weeks or so of releasing the related lesson?

My concern is that I might actually be tempted to go for this course,
I would pay, download all the material, and save it on a CD or
something and then forget about it.

If we had tests that forced us to do the reading, thinking, practical
exercises and tests, then I think that would be hugely useful.

Perhaps make it so that a student cannot progress to the next lesson
unless the test for the current lesson has been passed? That could be
sufficient motivator to knuckle down and study the material.

What do you think?

Regards,
Srdjan