Re: final proposal for online kernel programmers' beginner course

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8 June 2010 12:55, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Online_beginner%27s_kernel_programming_course
>
> This must be the first time I've ever seen you use capitals when
> writing prose. ;-)

  when it's in a good cause. :-)  (FYI, the reason i type this way is
that, years ago, i learned that the beginnings of carpal tunnel was
caused by constant reaching for the shift key.  i stopped doing it --
carpal tunnel went away.  problem solved.)

> > A few questions:
>  1) Will you take Paypal or Credit Card?
>      OK I see that you have already mentioned PayPal, which I like
> (especially given currency conversion issues).

  whatever is convenient.  at the moment, paypal seems easiest, and it
will take most major credit cards.

>  2) If you're going to charge 39$CAD, why not make it a nice round
> number of 40?

  marketing, my boy.  same reason you pay $9.95 and not $10.  it's all
psychological.  :-)

>  3) Will students have to sign up at the same time, or can new
> students jump in at any time?
>     ie. Will you require all students this year to be ready and start
> in September (like in schools), and everyone then works to the same
> lesson?

  people can join whenever they want, and work at their own pace.
whatever time you register, you'll have access to all lessons up to
that point.  and as i mentioned on the wiki page, you can even
register after the course is officially over and just do everything
all at once if that's your preference.

>   4) What about test deadlines? Will these be taken at whatever time
> the student wants, or do you require everyone to take the test after
> 3 weeks or so of releasing the related lesson?

  there are no tests, simply exercises that accompany each lesson.  i
won't be monitoring people.

> My concern is that I might actually be tempted to go for this
> course, I would pay, download all the material, and save it on a CD
> or something and then forget about it.
>
> If we had tests that forced us to do the reading, thinking,
> practical exercises and tests, then I think that would be hugely
> useful.
>
> Perhaps make it so that a student cannot progress to the next lesson
> unless the test for the current lesson has been passed? That could
> be sufficient motivator to knuckle down and study the material.
>
> What do you think?

  i simply won't have the time to support that sort of delivery.  i
will already be ***plenty*** busy just writing the lessons and
exercises.  asking me to add tests to the equation is just not
realistic, at least not at the moment.

  down the road, if it becomes an issue, i might introduce some sort
of end-of-course test, but that's not on my priority list right now.

rday