Re: How do I know my root FS ??

On 4/27/07, Onkar N Mahajan <onkar.n.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/27/07, pradeep singh <2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> > CONFIG_X86_TRAMPOLINE=y
>
> I was not able to find the support for initrd device in your kernel.
> AFAIR this should be there in the kernel, isnt it? anyone ?
> Can you recheck this?

AFAIR or anything like that is not there in the running kernel .config
file as well - that is from Redhat !!

hmmm... may be but i was able to find it my 2.6.20.1 kernel though
:-). And a vanilla kernel it is.Anyway doesnt matter much.

> Morover i wonder if you can run a kernel with all y's and m's as
> possible in place, that too without any hiccups.
> You are going to get and extremely slow kernel.

I am trying to install Lustre File system on to it so let the Lustre
FS work first then
I will try to minimize the number of Ys and m's - getting FS to work
is top priority at
this moment

Right, still it may trouble you.you have been warned.

> Ok ,wait you have a working kernel from your distro too right?
> Great, now just copy your distro's working config file from the /boot
> to your kernel tree. Better rename it as .config so that your current
> config of all Ys and Ms is overwritten.

I am doing all this to get my Lustre FS work (which obviously is not
working on the
current working kernel ) hence the upgrade !!

> Issue make menuconfig or whatever you prefer.

-------*****(1)
*****-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok I will try this, but can you suggest some changes in the config
file above first that might possibly put  things into right place - I
will try that first .

*****(1)*****

> Anybody thinks i left something please let Onkar know.
Thank you , Its very kind of you to say that  :)

Thanks
~psr

> Thanks
Thanks & sorry kernelnewbies for interleaved posting

Onkar

--
play the game