Re: Linux Firewall Active/Active

I've actually been doing this successfully with conntrakd, keepalived,
and quagga

Essentially I'm using quaga for OSPF and BGP externally with equal cost paths.

For conntrackd with FTFW and "DisableExternalCache On"

Do NOT use the howto's on the web or the examples that come with
conntrakd or keepalived for configuring keepalived they are outdated
and can cause major problems.
right now the only reliable documentation on keepalived is here
https://github.com/acassen/keepalived/blob/master/doc/keepalived.conf.SYNOPSIS
ignore any other docs you find on the web
Set both the instances in keepalived to "state BACKUP" and allow the
priority numbers to do ellections.

I do all of my VRRP heartbeats and syncing over dedicated bonded
interfaces. Short cables are better but a pair of fiber dedicated
cables to different rack rooms is acceptable. make sure you configure
keepalived not to monitor the croosover link or keepalived will thing
there is a FAULT when its peer is offline for say a reboot.

do not make the typical mistake of creating a new VRRP instance for
every vlan and connecting them in a sync group. that configuration can
have strange side effects. instead use one instance and specifiy the
the device the IP applies too under the hood keepalived is using
iproute2 and you can use its full add syntax. just truncate the "ip
addr add" portion of the command.

Also attached are two file which is a modified version oth the script
packaged in the examples which has been modified to work with
contrackd with "DisableExternalCache On" and a nice little upstream
router check script you can use in keepalived that uses fping.

I am planning to write a full howto on this in the near future as part
of HadrianWall project on git hub