RE: Doing Bridge with firewalling

I think that we need to clearly define the terminology for Kevin.

Interface - this is a tricky definition. One can refer to the PHYSICAL
interface (i.e. ethernet port) as an interface. You can also refer to
the LOGICAL interface (i.e. the one to which you allocate an IP
address). These two are DIFFERENT. You _might_ be able to make things
clearer by using "<ethernet> port" for the physical interface, and "<ip>
interface" for the logical interface.

(PDU = protocol data unit)
The names used to refer to the unit of data transfer are different at
different layers:
Frames = layer 2 PDUs
Packets = layer 3 PDUs

Bridge - layer 2 device i.e. "link control" layer i.e. transfers frames
across physical interfaces.
Router - layer 3 device i.e. network later i.e. transfers packets across
logical interfaces.

When you selectively tranfer frames (layer 2 PDUs) across a bridge, its
called filtering (frames).
When you selectively transfer packets (layer 3 PDUs) across a firewall,
its called firewalling/packet filtering.

I think I got it right :D.

Hence when you downsize your (layer 3) router into a (layer 2) bridge,
your neo-bridge becomes a layer 2 entity and disappears from the layer 3
i.e. it is no longer visible at layer 3. Therefore no firewalling, no
NAT.

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer
Zultys Technologies