Re: Doing Bridge with firewalling

* Kevin McConnell (kevymac@yahoo.com) wrote:

> --- Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > The two havn't got anything to do with each other.
> > NATing is modifying
> > packets as they pass through the router.  Addressing
> > is the IP address
> > and whatnot to access the firewall/router.  One does
> > not require the
> > other.
>
> This leads me to another question then. What are the
> advantages of not having an IP address assigned to
> interface(s) of the firewall? Like for instance, if my
> firewall was the gateway to the outside world, how
> would I tell machines behind the firewall to get out
> to the outside world if they didn't have a default
> route pointing to the internal address of the
> firewall? Also, how would packets that hit the
> firewall get routed through the other side?

A router is not a bridge.  The two are different things.  You're
thinking of things in terms of a 'router'.  In order for your computers
to reach the external network they have to go through a router, true.  A
firewall can be implemented as part of a router or as part of a bridge.
The only requirement being that the packets are required to pass through
the device.  If you implemented your firewall as a bridge then the
machines on the network wouldn't 'see' it, they would point their
default routes to the router on the opposite side of the bridge.

I think the critical point here is that you need to understand what a
bridge is and how it works and how it's different from a router.

	Stephen