Re: Netfilter Module for NAT IVI available

Le 25/05/11 15:16, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :
Le mercredi 25 mai 2011 Ã 15:09 +0200, Maciej Åenczykowski a Ãcrit :
Not that I've really been following the thread.
But I think that this sort of functionality should most likely be
developed as a virtual (tun/tap/veth/sit) style tunnel-like device.

You would use ipv4/ipv6 routing in the normal kernel to direct traffic
out this virtual interface, and immediately ipv6/ipv4 traffic would
come back out of it.

This should allow all the rest of the kernel (including connection
tracking) to function normally - although of course every connection
would be registered in an unrelated way twice (once as v4, once as
v6).

I think this has nice 'black box' semantics.
CERNET doc refers to  : http://linux.ivi2.org/

With an implementation for linux-2.6.18 : http://linux.ivi2.org/impl/

This seems enough to me, and not intrusive.

Pierre, you really should discuss why a netfilter module is needed at
all. Maybe you have a pdf or some slides somewhere (no code, but formal
discussion) ?

Well, as stated before, it is a master thesis work, so at the time I started this work, I didn't knew anything about the kernel organization (even though it's been years I use linux everyday). At first I have browsed a bit in the netfilters' files, but it was nearly impossible to understand what file was related to what, I had no clue on where to install my transition code.

Then a co-worker came with Jan's ebook (Writting Netfilter Modules) and Professors watching my thesis (Guy Leduc and Eric Vyncke, in copy) agreed that is was a good way to implement my translation code.

Now, may be Maciej's way or CERNET's way to get it into the kernel is better, but as it's a thesis, it has to be my own work and moreover, I have to understand what I'm doing, which is the case with Jan's excellent ebook.

The main drawback with "in-kernel" module is that there is almost no documentation, so I had no idea on how and where put my transition module or simply what to do (structures, ...).