Re: Netfilter Module for NAT IVI available

Le mardi 24 mai 2011 Ã 17:46 +0200, Pierre Rondou a Ãcrit :
> Le 24/05/11 16:56, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :
> > Le jeudi 05 mai 2011 Ã 03:18 +0200, Pierre Rondou a Ãcrit :
> >
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> I'm currently a student at the University of LiÃge. As part of my master
> >> thesis, I have to develop a Linux kernel module for IVI (
> >> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6219/ ).
> >>
> >> I now consider my module as finished (i.e, all functionalities are
> >> implemented) and publish it.
> >>
> >> It is available on sourceforge:
> >>
> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nativi/
> >>
> >> Feel free to test it and report to me any bug, bad implementation,
> >> error, ...
> >>
> >> If you believe that this module can be included is the Linux Kernel or
> >> in the Xtables-addons framework, I'll be glad and will help you in this
> >> task.
> >>

> >> I have tested my module inside the Xtables-addons framework (version
> >> 1.32) on a debian squeeze (6.0.1) linux with a 2.6.32-5  kernel (i686).
> >>
> >> Because of the lack of "EXPORT_SYMBOL" in the kernel, I had to
> >> copy-paste several functions from the kernel into the
> >> nativi_kernel_code.c file in order to use some features already
> >> available in the kernel (ip_finish_output, ip6_output, icmp_send).
> >>
> >> Documentation is provided in the source code, if you have any question
> >> don't hesitate to ask me.
> >>

> > Hi Pierre
> >
> > 1) Are you sure netfilter is the right place for this IVI feature ?
> >     (fact that you had to copy/paste ~1300 lines of code from kernel
> > might show that this would be better to use a module hooked into
> > forwarding stack ?)
> >
> I used Xtables to produce my module, fact is that I was (and still am) a
> kernel nooby, Xtables seemed to a be good way to produce this code.
> I'm not sure to what you're refering about, are you suggesting I should
> have developed the module directly into the kernel?

We all were kernel newbie at very beginning ;)

> > 2) How this can integrate a {conntrack enabled} firewall ?
> >

> I can't ... It's a drawback of the module. The fact is that I only have
> found a very little documentation about conntrack code, so I dropped the
> idea of dealing with it.
> But it shouldn't be difficult to update the conntrack for a kernel pro I
> guess ;-)

This has to be discussed before even coding ;)

One packet going through this gateway has one IPv6 side and one ipv4
side. This can be a problem to firewalling (either its ipv4, either its
ipv6) and conntracking.