Re: Where is telnet?

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:25:18AM -0600, Mark wrote:

> > telnet belongs on an "Interner Tablet", and claiming otherwise is
> > akin to claiming that the WWW is the internet.
> Misnomenclature aside, making claims about a device's abilities that
> can only be attained by installing additional or 3rd party apps or
> developing/porting them yourself amounts to false advertising. If it
> doesn't have a capability out of the box, then don't advertise it...

Sorry guys, but I don't get this.

People have already ported software that is much more complex than
telnet, such as OpenOffice, KDE or Pidgin.

If no one ever realised that telnet was so essential until May 2009
being such a trivial program to port then it probably wasn't that
important after all.

Sure, there are dozens of small command-line tools that some of us use
everyday, but that doesn't mean that the tablet has to come with all
of them installed. The root filesystem is already quite full as it is
now.

Are we going to have the same thread when someone misses nmap and
netcat?

Berto