Re: Where is telnet?

Just a small correction:

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Alberto Garcia <agarcia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

People have already ported software that is much more complex than
telnet, such as OpenOffice, KDE or Pidgin.

Nobody has ported OpenOffice. I developed a hack that runs OpenOffice in a Debian chroot.

This same Debian chroot can also run every command line tool available within Debian, including telnet, nmap and netcat. All of these (and hundreds more) are available with a simple apt-get install.

Ubuntu has also made a tablet-compatible armel distribution available, and so you can chroot into an Ubuntu rootfs as well.

It is also possible to set up an entire development environment in the chroot that allows you to build Debian or Ubuntu source packages on the tablet.

I built the entire Enlightenment e17 suite on-tablet using an Ubuntu chroot and a turnkey build script that I downloaded. It took the tablet 8-10 hours to do it ;-) ... but it worked!

I don't believe it is Nokia's responsibility to provide developers with hacker's tools. Especially since they are free for the taking in several other places.