Re: Where is telnet?

Hi,

ext Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, I don't have it on my N810 and can't find a copy of it.  And
>>> the times I need it are when travelling and so I have not got around to
>>> porting it myself!

Have you tried whether "porting" it require anything else besides
downloading the sources from:
	http://packages.debian.org/lenny/telnet
And doing "dpkg-buildpackage" in Sbox (after apt-getting
the build deps)?  It doesn't seem to have any funny deps.

>> Actually I would like to encourage you or someone else to port it if you need it.
>> We are very busy here and can't port every app you would like to have, so
>> if you really want it, please consider doing it by yourself.
>
> This is very funny considering that telnet is available in busybox, so
> _not_ having it installed by default is a conscious decision by Nokia.

Telnet isn't something that's either:
- Needed by the device itself
- An essential (needed in installing most of Debian packages
   without them declaring a separate dependency)

It's an (advanced) end-user tool and can be installed separately.

Have you tested that Busybox telnet even works as well as real telnet?
With the past experience I have some doubts about the quality of misc
Busybox tools.  :-)

> Life with the tablet could be a bit simpler if Nokia chose to include
> more stuff that is available in busybox (md5sum, cpio, hexdump, ...).

Some of them will be included into Fremantle; the ones that are in
Debian in packages that Busybox currently claims to provide and
conflicts with and which provide options compatible with GNU tools.
Other tools belong to somewhere else.

	- Eero