Re: Where is telnet?

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:57 AM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While there are reasons for using telnet, there are also many reason to
> not use it.  Some people may not be aware.  That's why I asked.

....except it's not optional. It's not a question of whether "you" are
using it, it's a matter of a server - controlled by someone else -
that you need to access is using it, and you have no choice in the
matter.

One size does *not* fit all. Trying to force your opinion on others is
not optimal. And assuming right off the bat that someone is ignorant
of the issues (especially when indications are otherwise) is less than
helpful.

A much better question is: "why doesn't SSH include basic telnet
functionality?" Why force people to use two different apps for (at
least at the top level) the same functionality? After all, telnet is
simple to implement compared to SSH. Oh, wait, "everybody should
always be using SSH, never telnet."... Grrr...

Whether you want to admit it or not, sometimes security really isn't
needed, and applying security where it isn't needed adds unnecessary
overhead and complexity. Would you carry around a solid steel safe
just to hold your wallet? If you're that paranoid, you have issues I'm
not going to attempt to address.

To paraphrase what someone else said, just answer the d*** question.
Editorial comments (even in the form of questions) are not helpful. If
you can't answer the actual question that is asked (without trying to
"read between the lines" or otherwise make unfounded assumptions),
don't say anything at all. A clear and concise question calls for a
clear and concise answer.

Mark