Re: N8xx ponderings

John Holmblad wrote:
> Fred C,
>
> re your comment
>
>    "...............with more core memory........."
>
> Where can I get some of that?
>
> The long boot time of windows XP, and, for that matter Vista, explains
> why Microsoft is racing to get Windows 7 out the door to "fix" that
> Achilles heel vs Linux. Microsoft are only too aware that today's
> 10-18 year olds (the next generation, if you will, of corporate users)
> will prefer what works first/fastest to reconnect them to their
> connected world vs whose name is on the OS.
FYI, I've recently loaded W7 onto a couple new boxes to see how it would
work.  After about a month, I'm not so sure W7 isn't going to be another
Vista disaster.

    * Pro -- the boot time has been reduced.  This seems to be
      accomplished to a great extent by limiting the task bar to 3 MS
      chosen items.  There's all sorts of freeware out that that will
      let XP users cut out most of the startup junk that bogs down XP
      boot up.
    * Con -- Driver verification.  After installing W7 from a new
      blue-ray DVD, W7 discovered the BR-DVD isn't on it's current pay
      thru to nose to MS list of approved drivers -- so it doesn't
      recognize it when you boot up, unless you go thru the hassle of
      F8, and selecting ignore driver verification at W7 boot time.
      Ditto for various USB devices, motherboard drivers and the like.
    * W7 wouldn't let me install my Shuttle Vista drivers, hence it
      wouldn't recognize the LAN, hence you can't get any direct
      support.  W7 is likely to be the same driver mess for endusers
      attempting to migrate from XP AND Vista to W7.
    * Caveat -- it's possible with a beta release that some of these
      driver restrictions are to limit hassles of managing all the
      devices that folks might want to connect to their computers before
      W7 is ready. If true, then MS is living in DaNile -- when W7 is
      released, it's going to be dumped on for being very unprepared to
      handle all the devices folks expect to work with W7.
    * W7 requires 4 partitions, leaving only 1 partition for a dual boot
      to Ubuntu or other OS.  Ubuntu currently recommends an separate
      partition for swap memory, but W7 isn't going to allow it.
    * W7 has all sorts of nice OS bloatware that I'm sure is intended to
      make things easy for novices. Stuff like self-testing your systems
      performance (mem, CPU, Disk access, graphics, etc) up to a scale
      of 8.  I suppose it's nice to see where your system performance is
      weak, but in the OS?  You can move the cursor over your task bar
      apps and it shows a small window of what that process is doing.
      Cute -- but essential?  This sort of junk is probably enough to
      fill up 4Gs of extra memory...  Meanwhile, it won't recognize my
      blue-ray DVD...

IMHO, W7 is not a slimmed down beefed up Vista, it's Vista in a girdle.

IMHO, if I were in charge of W7 design, somewhere along the development
process, I'd have put in some self monitoring system that would self
delete from the core processes and apps that people don't use or need
much, leaving this sort of bloatware something to be accessed from an
online repository on final release.  I suspect that nLiting MS OS to
eliminate MS bloatware is going to become an increasingly popular trend.

Of the things the various Linux things have done right, including the
tablet's 2008 OS,  is they generally have a decently tight core OS that
users can build upon from online repos to fill their need. The problem
is not all of the repo apps are made to the same reliability or
usability standards as one might wish.  As anyone who uses MS junk might
say -- "So what else is new"?

Always, Fred C