Re: Nokia device usage

Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:29 PM, lakestevensdental
> <lakestevensdental@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> \> Good luck carrying that non-Apple albatross around your neck...  It's
>
>> not like there's nothing to learn from the successful.
>>
>> Always, Fred C
>>

> ...or non-Micro$oft, or non-Linux, or...  it all depends on whose
> fan-boy you're talking to. The sad fact is that they're *all*
> albatrosses in one way or another.

M$ is no albatross.  It's the world's largest computer virus.

Apple, hmmm....  IMHO, they've found a growing niche for folks who want
to get over the M$ virus, who feel the need to buy something that works.
>  If it weren't for the iPod, Apple would have died an ugly
> death a long time ago. They were in a very serious crisis when the
> iPod came out. They're still far from dominant in the computer market,
> and probably never will be.
  The Ipod phenon has been an interesting ride to watch.  Say what you
want about Apple's marketing style -- it's worked to dominate a rapidly
growing market niche and will likely continue that way into the near
future because of sheer marketing momentum of it and it's vertical
markets.

  As for the PC world, Apple could probably dominate, or at least
quickly become very big player, in the PC market if they decided to make
and sell their OS for installation in Intel boxes for a modest price.

  Linux could probably make everyone pay serious attention if a common
Direct X like app were available to grab the gamers out of the PC (and
Game box) world.  Without gamers, there's little need for all the
additional speed and power in the PC market.  Who knows, Linux may pick
up a lot of attention if more governments would adopt the policy of open
source OS and software were possible as someone has talked about in
Europe recently (make Great Britian?).

I suppose if someone could get Intuit to provide a Linux Quickbooks and
TurboTax, movement to Linux could be a done deal for a fair number of
small businesses that just need some accounting, inventory and Open
Office Suite to do most of their business computing needs.  Who needs to
spend $150 on a bloated M$ O$, plus new devices and install hassles.
Intuit could offer QB, TT, OO, and Ubuntu or PCBSD on a disk for the
same price as M$ W7 alone, plus it would install and run.