Re: Nokia device usage

Ognen Duzlevski a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
> could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.

Hello,

I own a N770. a N800 and a N810. I use a Nokia 6600 Slide for call, SMS,
photo, agenda and modem. I hope that the next internet Tablet will make
the use of the phone obsolete. I alway carry the N810 with me. My usage
is for:

- Browsing the Internet, even if the amount of ads in more and more
sites make it barely usable. I found hard to open a link in a new tab (I
like to do so). Script execution should be stoppable easily from the
interface because some site abuse of it and it's painful to wait the
dialog that propose to stop the script. On reasonable sites, it work
very well and make it a far more useful tool than the browsers of the phone.

- Playing music. One of the task that work the best.

- Taking notes using Maemopad+. I found the concept useful but need more
work. Saving more than a dozen of nodes are too slow. I like the way it
can save the result into HTML page.

- Connecting to other computers with SSH to make remote work. For me
this is the most productive feature of the N810. Having a xterm by
default is sweet.

- Reading PDF document. Very good result. I suggest to keep the last
horizontal position of the page when passing one page to an other in
zoom mode, because many documents have small font and large space on the
left of the text.

- I use MaemoMapper with the internet GPS when I don't have a bluetooth
GPS with me. The result with the internal GPS is very frustrating
comparing to the result with the external one in the same condition.
Switching from the external to the internal GPS is absolutely a
nightmare (sometime it work only after a full reboot). Using real map is
  an excellent feature of MaemoMapper with his ability to store them for
reuse. I never success using point of interest. The auto-center mode is
too easily to disable compared to to operation the enable it (require
the menu or the keyboard). The GPS fix should be indicated into the GPS
info box instead of a system message, because it can stay for long time
(especially with the internal GPS). The AGPS should work out of the box.

- Programming some python script. Sadly, i found no small code editor
that is comfortable in text mode (vi is ok, but I am not a big fan of
it). Too many of them use the CTRL key that it so painful to use, even
with the toolbar in the xterm. I tested pygtkeditor but found it too
slow as file get bigger. I hope that one day it would be possible to
have a native GCC on the tablet, so I could program in C.

- Transfer files from my phone using bluetooth. This work great and is
very useful.

- Transfer file with my computer using bluetooth work, but file browsing
is not available. This require to use rsync or the SD card. I have
tested to use the N810 as a USB storage, but I ended too often with a
corrupted file system, so I don't use this feature any more.

- Showing photos to others. This work and the images are superb thank to
the quality of the screen. The default application is half finished. I
prefer to use Quiver.

- Making Skype call. I found it usable only using a Wifi link, with very
good result.

- Playing video. it work, but the experience is not comfortable. There
is too many stall while using the interface. The time adjustment is very
too small to be useful when the video is long as is a normal movie.

- Playing some games. The comfort is very different from one game to an
other. The games that follow the GUI concept of the tablet are great.
The others are less. Some to the point that there are not very usable.

- Installing and updating application is too easily broken. Nokia should
  provide a real central repository like every distribution does and
should find a way to get ride of the stupid legal box that pop up for
every package that is not from Nokia. The refresh of the application
list take too long and don't remember the position after an operation. I
use Debian on my computers and I found it far more easy to update and
install applications. I hope that the tablet will have a so good
application as is synaptic.

- I have tryed to use the default mail client, but it is too buggy to be
usable. I tested claws-mail with some success, but the interface require
too much learning to be safe with. It is not appropriate for taking last
messages of very large IMAP folders.

Overall, I found the N810 investment a good decision for my use. One of
my soon like to use the N800 now that I have the N810. he use it to play
music, movie, game and viewing photos since it have 2 year old. I can
say that small child have no problem using an tablet. The N770 have no
use anymore as it can only run old early applications that are too
frustrating to use.

I will certainly but the next tablet, as it seem to have an integrated
3G link, a high resolution camera and a even more comfortable interface.
It will make my phone obsolete if I can make phone call, SMS and have a
good agenda.

The concept is good, the hardware too. I think that the most opportunity
to progress is in the usability of the applications. Too much small bugs
or frustrating interface prevent to make the current tablet enjoyable
for people that don't have some technical orientation justifiable giving
the price point and the growing concurrence of similar devices in that
market. It seem that others manufacturers get bigger market share
because there devices are usable as a phone and are sold by any phone
operators, with all the advertisement that come with.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Christian de Rivaz