Re: Nokia device usage

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have some (e.g. 3rd party app) running in the background
>>> taking CPU?  Or something that frequently polls network
>>> (Do you switch it to offline mode when you don't use it)?
>>> Or doesn't allow the display to blank when you don't use the device?
>>
>> I can't speak to the 3rd party app issue; I have so many apps
>> installed that that is entirely possible, although according to
>> LoadApplet there's nothing going on.
>
> Program doesn't need to show up in "top" at all to decrease the device
> use-time from a week to a day, for that it's enough for a single process
> to wake up once a sec and do nothing else (i.e. <1% CPU use).
> It prevents CPU from sleeping.
>

>> I rarely switch to offline mode
>> because much of the stuff I do with it requires network access, and
>> even when I'm not doing anything constantly online there's stuff like
>> OMWeather that needs to update every now and then. I *never* turn off
>> bluetooth because it's too much of a pain digging through all those
>> menus to get it back on again.
>
> Ok, WLAN + Bluetooth and some apps using net frequently (say at one
> minute interval or more frequently) could start explaining the use-time.
>
>        - Eero

Generally speaking the apps I use that have settings only access the
network infrequently (OMWeather, for example, is set at 30 minutes).
If I'm browsing the Web, it's completely out of my hands, because I
can't control how often ads change etc., but many pages don't do
anything unless I click on a link. I don't have any of the "home"
applets installed. I suppose when I'm running Dali Clock or mClock
they would keep the hardware going constantly to update the display,
but not the network, and I don't use the clocks very often.

The thing that bothers me is that it's very inconsistent. My usage of
the device doesn't vary much, but one day the battery will last an
unusually long time and another it will start complaining almost as
soon as I turn it on, after having a complete charge the night before.

Also, a couple of months ago it suddenly started taking a long time to
boot and the CPU load stays maxed out for several minutes before the
device is usable. I hadn't installed anything new or added more than a
couple of new files. It may have started after an update.

Mark