Re: N8xx ponderings

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM, lakestevensdental
> <lakestevensdental@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After using a variety of small internet communication/computing devices,
>> (n800, n810, netbook-eee PC on Xandros, Ubuntu and now XP, plus and Ipod
>> Touch), I've come to some conclusions that might be worth sharing.
>>
>> 1. None of these devices is a truly one size fits all solution for small
>> computing/communication needs. They've all got strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>> 2. For 'serious' portable use, an XP netbook is great.  Good browsing,
>> media player, typing, etc.  It's limits are with casual use -- you can't
>> carry it in your pocket and you've got to be sitting up in bed to use it.
>
> Nothing that a Dell Mini 9" with Ubuntu can't do with VLC,MPlayer, and
> OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 :)
>
> It's no wonder 30% of current Netbooks are selling with Linux and
> increasingly threatening Microsoft´s dominant position...
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_layoffs_netbooks_sales_are_killing_us
>
> Just my $0.02

funny then how more and more of the companies are dropping linux...

btw, the dell mini 9 was a joke in relation to linux.

iirc, when first launched the linux variant was the lowest spec-ed one,
and the windows variants both came with rebates that made them as cheap
or cheaper then the start out config of the linux one.

and if you tried to spec the linux one to match the windows one, you got
something that was more expensive then the most expensive windows
variant, pre rebate.

and yes, the windows variants could all be upped on order if one wanted
to...

the only company that has given linux a fair chance in all this is asus,
and they have the worst linux distro in use...