Re: App-Manager failure

Ryan Abel wrote:
[...]
> Pretty much everything, but I can only recommend that you upgrade,

OK, all done and working, and thanks for the pointers.

> http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

Small buglet: the page says "switch on your tablet while holding the
Home-button (N800)" but I couldn't find any documentation which referred
to a "home button". I guessed it referred to the middle button of the
upper rocker.

The only immediately obvious thing was that the interface is more
sluggish than OS2007, in that it takes noticeably longer to respond to a
touch with the stylus, especially when waking from screen-blank.

And someone has replaced the caps lock button on the screen keyboard
with a language-switch button. Grrr. *Bad* choice.

 >> TeX
>> Emacs
[...]
> All of these things work fine (in fact, most of them work a lot better)
> in Diablo. The only one I'm not sure about is SaxonB8, but I'm sure a
> little googling will turn up what you need. . . .

Saxon is no problem, it's a standard XSLT processor in Java.

TeX is a problem, though: I can't find where I got the package.
I'm sure it'll turn up, and I have my original copy on a backup DVD
somewhere, but the difficulty was that it's *way* too big to fit on the
system internal storage, and there isn't any option that I know of to
tell it to install itself on (eg) /media/mmc1/... In any case, it really
ought to be recompiled from the new TeX Live 2008, out last month. I'd
even offer to take over packaging if I could find the right commandline
toolchain -- I will *not* install the ghastly Virtual environment I
tried earlier in the year which nearly drove my laptop into the ground.

Emacs is a bigger problem. The version I downloaded installed but
wouldn't execute, and it was an Xterm version anyway. I did contact the
author who promised me a new version but contact fell apart. It needs to
be in its own window, but my programming skills aren't up to that. Is
*anyone* out there using Emacs on the N800 and if so where did you get it?

///Peter