Re: N810 Now Resets Very Frequently

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "ext Dave Neary" <dneary@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi Kalle,
>
> Hello Dave,

>> <snip>
>>
>>> So basically you want others do all the work for you? It doesn't work
>>> that way. Try to show that you have tried to do something to solve the
>>> problem, for example by writing as much as info as possible. That way
>>> people might be a bit more motivated to answer.
>>
>> Are you sure you haven't misinterpreted Mark here?
>
> No idea. Maybe, wouldn't be the first :)
>
>> It seems to me like the original question was "Is this happening to
>> anyone else?" which is a reasonable question to ask on a users list.
>
> Still I think the original poster should do more than just say that
> "my device reboots". He should explain what version he is using, did
> he install any applications, what kind of network environment he has
> etc. It would take only 10 minutes of his time but it would have
> helped a lot.

...provided he even knows what a "network environment" is, how to find
the version, etc. You are demanding a certain level of knowledge and
skill that seems trivial to you but monumental to some.

As I said, sometimes people don't even know how to start, and need
some *specific* pointers to get going.

>> Asking him to search Bugzilla and/or read a FAQ for Diablo might
>> have been good answers, as would be "First I've heard of it - looks
>> like you'll have to dig deeper", which is probably what I'd've said.
>
> [...]
>
>> That is: there's a difference between being nice and not nice, or
>> welcoming and unwelcoming.
>
> You have a point, of course. Usually if someone is nice to me, I'm
> nice to him as well. But Igor gave a good link to the original poster
> and all he got back was flaming. Well, that wasn't nice. Original
> poster spent one minute writing the email, Igor spent a second with
> the reply. Had the original poster spent 10 minutes writing the email,
> Igor might have very well spent a minute writing a (better) answer.
>
> What I'm trying to say here is that there's a correlation how much
> time you spend on solving the problem and how good answers you get.
>
> --
> Kalle Valo

Once again, the old "everybody else should suffer just as much as I
have to get what I've got". That's not how life works. Everything you
know and have is built on the work of people who came before you.
Regardless of your opinion, you did NOT get where you are all by
yourself. If there *is* a manual, then somebody had to write it. The
point is to make life *easier* for those who come after, not harder.
Whether you want to admit it or not, you've benefited from others'
experience and have a responsibility to mankind to pass on your
experience to others without begrudging it.

There's only a correlation on time spent solving a problem and the
answers one is given if the one (NOT!) giving the answers is a jerk.

Mark