Re: N810 Now Resets Very Frequently

Hi Kalle,

Kalle Valo wrote:
> "ext Mark" <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> When one has a problem with a device it is helpful to find out if
>> others are having the same problem, and may have already solved it.

<snip>

> So basically you want others do all the work for you? It doesn't work
> that way. Try to show that you have tried to do something to solve the
> problem, for example by writing as much as info as possible. That way
> people might be a bit more motivated to answer.

Are you sure you haven't misinterpreted Mark here?

It seems to me like the original question was "Is this happening to
anyone else?" which is a reasonable question to ask on a users list.
Asking him to search Bugzilla and/or read a FAQ for Diablo might have
been good answers, as would be "First I've heard of it - looks like
you'll have to dig deeper", which is probably what I'd've said.

>> RTFM is *never* an acceptable response.
>
> That's the best way to learn and educate yourself, and in the end you
> get better results. But if you insist doing everything your way, don't
> be surprised if people are not willing to help you.

I remember many years ago explaining that how you say RTFM is what's
important. There are a myriad of ways to do so.

1. RTFM
Variants: link to a page explaining how to RTFM, or a page on "asking
smart questions", with no context

2. RTFM. Here's a link to the manual/docs/HOWTO/FAQ: http://...

3. This looks like a problem someone reported a while back... have you
searched the archives of the mailing list and checked the FAQ? It seems
similar to http://link.to.the.faq/q2-1.html

That is: there's a difference between being nice and not nice, or
welcoming and unwelcoming.

Cheers,
Dave.

--