Re: Postal address in Contacts?

Mark (wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM, David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I suggest that, generically, import/export is a subset of sync.
> >
> > Sync to an empty service (using a CSV backing store?) = export.
> > Sync from a full service (using a CSV backing store?) = import.
> >
> > Sync can also do merges and therefore sync is more powerful.
> >

> You have that backwards. Sync is more of a subset of import/export,
> because sync only works for a very small number of the machines and
> situations for which import/export works. But actually neither is a
> true subset of the other, because there are some areas where they
> don't overlap. You need a refresher on set theory.

If Sync can do everything that im- and export can do then it is a
superset of im- and export. Davids set theory is correct here. And he
does describe exactly how he thinks about this. You seem to generally
assume that syncing has to happen between two different machines. This
is not necessary. You can sync a database against a different database
on the same machine in the same file system or whatever. If you now
manage to think of "export" being a sync operation between e.g. an EDS
database and a empty CSV-file-based "database" you basically have
export.

Opensync has been doing stuff like this for ages. It was crude to
configure when I tried it some time ago and the documentation does not
necessarily make me hope that it got better, but conceptually (and we
are talking concepts here, right?) this is just an export. Or import if
looked at it the other way around.

Instead of just denouncing davids knowledge of math you should try to
read and understand what he actually writes.

Bye,
        Simon

PS: Noooo! I got sucked into this thread!!
--
              simon@xxxxxxxx              http://simon.budig.de/