Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Simon Budig <simon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If Sync can do everything that im- and export can do then it is a
> superset of im- and export.

It most certainly cannot. Sync can only deal with native formats.
Import and export deal specifically with non-native formats. They
complement each other; neither can replace the other.

> Davids set theory is correct here.

You clearly don't understand set theory any more than he does.

> And he
> does describe exactly how he thinks about this. You seem to generally
> assume that syncing has to happen between two different machines.

Baloney. You're missing the point entirely. What sync and
import/export *can* do is irrelevant. What's relevant is what each can
do that the other cannot.

> This
> is not necessary. You can sync a database against a different database
> on the same machine in the same file system or whatever. If you now
> manage to think of "export" being a sync operation between e.g. an EDS
> database and a empty CSV-file-based "database" you basically have
> export.

...but if you aren't using an EDS database, and are forced to install
it - *and* Opensync - just to get your data out, how is that a good
thing? The point is that apps that force you to install other apps
(which take up space and system resources) in order to get
fundamental, critical functionality are not very user-friendly.

> Opensync has been doing stuff like this for ages. It was crude to
> configure when I tried it some time ago and the documentation does not
> necessarily make me hope that it got better, but conceptually (and we
> are talking concepts here, right?) this is just an export. Or import if
> looked at it the other way around.

...whereas true import & export are actually quite easy, with just a
few clicks...

> Instead of just denouncing davids knowledge of math you should try to
> read and understand what he actually writes.
>
> Bye,
>        Simon
>
> PS: Noooo! I got sucked into this thread!!
> --

That goes double for you. I understand your point of view perfectly. I
am not disputing the fact that sync is useful and powerful. You are
the one who is maintaining, quite incorrectly, that sync makes import
& export obsolete.

Mark