Re: Postal address in Contacts?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Patrick Ohly <Patrick.Ohly@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:27 -0600, Mark wrote:
>> You are attempting to discount issues based on personal preference
>> rather than taking a realistic view of how and when people - and their
>> devices - work.
>
> I'm not sure why you feel entitled to speak for everyone and I'm not
> even allowed to express my own opinion without being told that I'm
> wrong. I guess that's because I'm biased and you are so obviously not...
>
> I have been told by users quite a few times that combinations of
> SyncEvolution with SyncML server and some other clients work, but I
> those people don't count either. Remember, my whole point is that sync
> can be made to work, and then when it works, people are happy using it.
> Nothing more, nothing less.

Great! I never disputed that. My point is that there are a lot more
cases when it *doesn't* work than when it does, and therefore
import/export functionality is necessary. You've seemed to have been
arguing that import/export isn't necessary.

>> You are doing this because you can't actually win the argument and
>> you know it.
>
> Congratulations, you won: I'm not going to argue further with you. I'm
> not sure what you are trying to achieve, but it certainly doesn't
> convince me to stop working on sync software. Back to more productive
> endeavors...
>
> --
> Bye, Patrick Ohly
> --
> Patrick.Ohly@xxxxxx
> http://www.estamos.de/

By all means, continue working on sync software. Sync is great! You're
the one who started the whole sync vs. import/export argument. I never
said that sync wasn't great or that nobody should use it. I just said
that it's often not an option, and in those cases import & export are
the *only* way to transfer data. Regardless of the situation, either
can benefit by the presence of the other. They are not mutually
exclusive concepts. On the contrary, most software that will sync also
does import/export.

As a matter of fact, some software that used to only be able to import
& export files and is in no way related to PIMs can now "sync" file
types that nobody would have considered before, such as spreadsheets
and text documents.

Complementary, not exclusive.

Mark