Installing apps when there's no installer

James Sparenberg wrote:
[alternate install location]
> No easy method no. On the other hand one of the first things a deb
> installer does is check to see if it can install. (meaning it has
> enough space) and then bomb out if it doesn't.

That'll do nicely.

> I might be possible to unpack the deb and do some hand manipulation
> (also involves a chicken bone and eye of newt at midnight.)  but no
> easy way I know of.

That's not a problem. I'm accustomed to passing dead chickens over the
keyboard, and I know the "right" directory structure (TDS) and where to
put it.

> Problem here is that the creators of deb/rpm/etc haved intentionally
> pushed this function to the side to maintain ease of use for the
> greatest number of users. Those of us who dare try the chicken bone
> ritual are on our own.

Absolutely. It's the one area where the otherwise intolerable Windows
installation nov^H^H^Hwizards score: they *ask* where you want it put,
which is precisely what most Unix users *don't* want to have to bother
with. The problem only really arises on systems with very restricted
internal (/usr/share, /usr/local) space (PDAs) but with potentially
large volumes off to one side like /media. Perhaps it's time to suggest
that .debs could provide installation parameters like

filetree: texmf
default-install-location: /usr/share
alternate-install-location: /usr/local/share
alternate-install-location: /mnt/*
alternate-install-location: /media/*

(the * meaning "prompt user"). Purists will hate the idea of initiating
a dialog during an install, but for applications which have a very large
data footprint like TeX, I think it's justifiable.

> oh and you can't execute a binary from the mmc cards by default either.  File
> system mount thing.

Ah. But presumably you can
$ ln -s /media/disk1/texmf/bin/latex /usr/local/bin/
(it certainly worked on the Zaurus).

///Peter