Installing apps when there's no installer

A large number of the apps listed at http://maemo.org/downloads have a
greyed out button labelled "missing install". The link to these apps'
homepages eventually takes you to the downloads, including a .deb, but
I'm not an apt-get expert: how do I make it install from a .deb that
I've already downloaded, without using a repository? The apt-get man
page is silent on this.

For very large apps, eg MaemoTeX, I will want to ensure that it goes
onto my external SD card (rather than wherever it thinks it ought to
go), and then soft-link the binaries to /usr/local/bin. Is there a way
to override the default install paths, or will I need to unzip the .deb
and do it manually?

///Peter