Installing apps when there's no installer

On Friday 26 October 2007 15:39:40 Peter Flynn wrote:
> A large number of the apps listed at http://maemo.org/downloads have a
> greyed out button labelled "missing install". The link to these apps'
> homepages eventually takes you to the downloads, including a .deb, but
> I'm not an apt-get expert: how do I make it install from a .deb that
> I've already downloaded, without using a repository? The apt-get man
> page is silent on this.
>
> For very large apps, eg MaemoTeX, I will want to ensure that it goes
> onto my external SD card (rather than wherever it thinks it ought to
> go), and then soft-link the binaries to /usr/local/bin. Is there a way
> to override the default install paths, or will I need to unzip the .deb
> and do it manually?
>
> ///Peter

Peter, open your Application manager then click on the words "Application
Manager" at the top of the screen, or press the "menu" key on the IT. This
willl open a menu where you click "Application" and "Install from file" This
will allow you to navigate to where you saved the .deb and install it.

James