Installing apps when there's no installer

Thanks Jonathan and James for pointing out Application manager to do
this (far too easy for my tortured mind :-)

It's always surprising and pleased to find that someone has taken the
trouble to include this kind of functionality in an application.

Any thoughts on how to force a large .deb to use a different directory
for installing its files? I don't want to start installing it only to
find it doesn't allow the install directory to be changed, and then just
goes ahead and hangs the system because it's used up all available disk
space in /

///Peter