Installing apps when there's no installer

On Friday 26 October 2007 17:12:26 Peter Flynn wrote:
> Thanks Jonathan and James for pointing out Application manager to do
> this (far too easy for my tortured mind :-)
>
> It's always surprising and pleased to find that someone has taken the
> trouble to include this kind of functionality in an application.
>
> Any thoughts on how to force a large .deb to use a different directory
> for installing its files? I don't want to start installing it only to
> find it doesn't allow the install directory to be changed, and then just
> goes ahead and hangs the system because it's used up all available disk
> space in /
>
> ///Peter

No easy method no.  On the other hand one of the first things a deb installer
does is check to see if it can install.  (meaning it has enough space) and
then bomb out if it doesn't.

I might be possible to unpack the deb and do some hand manipulation (also
involves a chicken bone and eye of newt at midnight.)  but no easy way I know
of.  Problem here is that the creators of deb/rpm/etc haved intentionally
pushed this function to the side to maintain ease of use for the greatest
number of users.  Those of us who dare try the chicken bone ritual are on our
own.

oh and you can't execute a binary from the mmc cards by default either.  File
system mount thing.

James